Green peas are in season and quite cheap as well. I never thought I would be freezing them at home but there is something really special about doing these things at home. A little effort it takes but totally worth it. This is the 3rd time I have made Frozen peas at home. The 1st time when I made it, I just removed the peas from the pods and put them directly in the freezer. It got spoiled in just a month. Than one of my friends, suggested this way and it works so amazingly 🙂 I visited New Delhi last weekend and didn’t have much luggage so bought some 5 kgs of peas from there as its quite costly in Hyderabad. The only difficult part of the whole process is removing the peas from the Pods.
Anyway, I will be explaining the way I do it below. You can take as much quantity of peas as you want. You will also need some chilled water and two cotton clothes.
First, remove the peas from the pods. Once done, wash the peas with water. In a pot, boil water till it start getting bubbles and add the washed peas to the boiling water. Keep the flame high and let the peas cook in boiling water for exact 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a separate big pot, put some chilled water. After 5 minutes of boiling, remove the peas from water and put them in chilled water to stop further cooking of the peas. Let it remain like that for 5 minutes and then remove all the peas using a strainer. Now in a clean dry cloth, spread the boiled peas nicely and let the peas cool down completely. Now, using another dry cotton cloth, wipe off excess water from the peas very gently. Once done, transfer the peas in a zip pouch or an airtight box, keep it in the freezer and you are done.
* Make sure there is no water in the peas or in the box/zip lock pouch. Moisture content will spoil the peas.
* The peas need to be cooled down completely before freezing.
* Blanching the peas before freezing increases the shelf life.
* The peas will stay good for 5 to 6 months in the freezer or even more than that if kept nicely.
* When you need to use the peas, just take out the amount needed and keep the rest back in the freezer.